- This event has passed.
Webinar: Shining the :ight on Cuba’s Medical Solidarity
May 9, 2020 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pmFree
REGISTER ONLINE HERE: https://tinyurl.com/ycg3frnx
Webinar featuring guest panelists and discussion:
- Her Excellency Josefina Vidal – Cuban Ambassador to Canada
- MP Niki Ashton – Member of Parliament for Churchill-Keewatinook Aski, Manitoba
- Dr. John Kirk – Cuba Researcher and Professor, Dalhousie University
- Dr. Isaac Saney – Co-Chair of Canadian Network on Cuba and Professor, Dalhousie University
- Dr. Keith Ellis – Chair of Fundraising Campaign and Professor Emeritus, University of Toronto
Webinar co-moderated by:
- Elizabeth Hill – Co-Chair of Canadian Network on Cuba and President of Canadian-Cuban Friendship Association Toronto
- Tamara Hansen – Executive Member of Canadian Network on Cuba and Coordinator of Vancouver Communities in Solidarity with Cuba
Cuba is showing the world how to confront the COVID-19 pandemic with international solidarity. As of April 20th, 2020, more than 1,450 Cuban doctors, nurses, and medical professionals from the Henry Reeve International Medicine Brigade have been welcomed in more than 22 countries in Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, Africa, and the Middle East. Cuba’s biotechnology industry has also developed medicines and treatment regimes for COVID-19 which have been used not only in Cuba, but also in China, Spain, and other countries.
Cuba’s international solidarity is leading the way in the world-wide struggle to confront COVID-19 despite nearly 60 years of a cruel and unjust blockade imposed on Cuba by the United States. This same blockade on Cuba and its extraterritorial impacts also prevents medical cooperation between the United States, Canada, and Cuba, which would be beneficial to people living in all three countries.
Across Canada the Canadian Network on Cuba is organizing a campaign to raise donations for Cuba’s amazing internationalist efforts. Since launching the campaign on March 30, 2020 we have already raised $31,000. Join in this online Webinar to learn more the importance of the fundraising effort and about how people in Canada can support Cuba, both in their fight against Covid-19 and their struggle to end the cruel U.S. blockade!
Organized by the Canadian Network on Cuba (CNC), a network of Cuba solidarity organizations across Canada promoting friendship and solidarity with Cuba and the Cuban people.