- This event has passed.
Webinar: Medical Collaboration between Cuba & the US in the time of the pandemic
June 29, 2020 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pmFree
Zoom Presentation for the Buffalo/Rochester/Ithaca/Albany area. Monday June 29 7pm – 8:30pm. Register here. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
The whole world is grappling with how best to respond to the COVID-19 crisis.
One country, Cuba, is sending its doctors and other health professionals around the world to help beleaguered health care systems. It is also making available a Cuban produced antiviral drug Interferon Alpha 2B that has been widely used in China, as well as Cuba, and has shown some success in strengthening the body’s immune system to fight off the virus.
The US government, instead of seeking to collaborate with Cuba, is demanding that other countries refuse to accept the Cuban doctors and drugs, while simultaneously strengthening its 60 year long economic blockade of Cuba in an attempt to deny the Cuban people the food, medical supplies and gasoline they and their society needs.
This presentation will discuss:
- The unique medical collaboration that already exists between the US and Cuba at the Roswell Park Cancer Center in Buffalo,
- The potential for creating new forms of medical collaboration in confronting COVID-19
- How young US doctors, trained in Havana, Cuba at the Latin American Medical School (ELAM) are already a living example of such collaboration.
- How such collaboration is part of ending the US blockade of Cuba
- Jennifer Wager – Board member of IFCO/Pastors for Peace and former coordinator of its annual Caravan to Cuba. Now a documentary filmmaker whose work includes the award winning Dare to Dream about ELAM
Dr Joaquin Morante, US graduate from Havana’s Latin America Medical School (ELAM)
Joaquin graduated from ELAM in 2012 and is now a specialist in General Pulmonary Medicine and Critical Care Medicine at New York’s Jacobi public hospital.
- Video material about the Roswell Park Cancer Center collaboration with Cuba
- There will be time for Q+A and discussion
The event is a fundraiser for IFCO/Pastors for Peace.
Event sponsored by:
Interreligious Foundation for Community Organization/Pastors for Peace
Western New York Peace Center – Latin America Solidarity Committee
Rochester Committee on Latin America (ROCLA)
Ithaca Friends of Cuba
Albany Cuba Solidarity