- This event has passed.
Driving Protest: Free ECHC Inmates!
March 24 @ 5:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Driving around the block of the Erie County Holding Center, ie, Delaware at Church to Eagle to So Elmwood Ave – see map below.
We need to take action around the vulnerable lives in the Erie County Holding Center. As per the Buffalo News, multiple deputies and prisoners have tested positive for COVID-19 and evidence suggests this will become rampant in the Holding Center as well as Correctional Facility in Alden. We are demanding judges, officials, and legislators release as many people as possible from custody which at this point could be a death sentence.
We have two primary ways people can help outlined below:
1) At the appointed time, residents – on your way to the grocery store – will drive around the Holding Center and honk to show solidarity with our vulnerable people inside.
· If participating, tie a piece of fabric or plastic to the antenna of your vehicle.
· The route is around the block the ECHC is in, ie, Church to Delaware to Eagle to South Elmwood, all going counterclockwise around the block. Please obey all traffic rules and disperse if told to do so by an official or if you see many others dispersing.
· Stick a sign in the window(s) of your vehicle that demand the release of people from the Holding Center and acknowledgement from legislators and officials.
· As a precaution, there should be no more than one person or household per vehicle.
· This will last for 20 minutes.
2) If not participating as outlined above, we need help amplifying content of this action and issue on all social media platforms.
In love and action, SURJ, WNYPC, BLRR, PPG, and other allies!