- This event has passed.
Car rally for State Leg reconvening & passing HALTSolitary
May 6, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am
Car action in Buffalo to call on the state legislature to reconvene and pass the HALT Solitary Confinement Act. People in Rochester, Albany, Yonkers, NYC, and Long Island will be doing the same thing, at the same time. The event will be streamed as a single, statewide event, narrated by our own Jerome Wright.
Please come, in your car, with members of your household if they are interested. Your presence will matter, and it should be fun, a chance to get out of the house and do something meaningful, safely.
Attached is the event flyer and the map for our route. Please also register, at
Your registration will allow us to prepare better, and to reach you for changes that may happen before or even during the event.
- Make a couple of signs that you will be able to put on your car without obstructing vision. Use any slogans you like that will be easily readable and convey our message that the legislature needs to get back into session and pass the HALT Solitary Confinement Act.
- Wed morning, put them signs on your car. You might want to park near Niagara Square and do it there, so that the signs are exposed to wind and weather as little as possible.
- Drive to Niagara Square, start circling, look for other cars with signs, and form caravans with as many cars as possible.
- At about 9:50 we’ll head down Delaware past the Holding Center and start doing the route shown on the map. We’ll continue the route, which is a loop, until 11:00 (probably about 20 times). Throughout, we’ll try to drive more slowly than usual to be more visible and to stay together.
- The route will be:
- Head out of the square southbound on Delaware
- Pass the Holding Center (on your right), then
- Left (east) on Church
- Left (north) on Franklin
- Soft left (northwest) on Niagara, back into Niagara Square.
- Every time you get back into the Square, make at least 2 loops: one complete loop, and a second almost complete loop ending at the exit to Delaware southbound. This will enhance our visibility, and also help us pick up any people joining later.
There will be a very few people, with signs and a camera, in front of the Holding Center. Please do not get out of your car and join them. We want to be very clearly following pandemic rules.