- This event has passed.
The State of the Black Resistance Movement
August 26, 2020 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pmFree
On Zoom. Register at cit.ac/resistance.
“The movement is stronger than ever and we demand justice! Join us for our #BlackAugust panel, “The State of the Black Resistance.”
Moderated by our Movement Politics Director Jodi Risper, you’ll hear from a powerful lineup of movement leaders from across the country.”
- Jim Anderson, Vice President, Citizen Action NY; deeply engaged in intersectional organizing across issue areas; an international peace and social justice activist and also president of Peace Action NY
- Samra Brouk, NY Senate District 55; the first Black woman to hold the seat in SD55 (when!) she wins in November
- Kiah Morris, Movement Politics Director, Vermont Rights and Democracy; the first African-American and person of color elected from Bennington County, VT and the second African-American woman to be elected to the legislature in Vermont history
- Ras Smith, Iowa House of Representatives District 62; has led the fight for police reform in a Republican state which was just one of three states to have passed major reforms in the wake of George Floyd’s murder
- April Friendly, Statewide Mass Incarceration Organizer, Chicago Peoples’ Lobby; working to end cash bail and towards abolishing the crisis of mass incarceration