- This event has passed.
Assembly District #149 Town Hall
June 10 @ 6:00 pm
Citizen action of WNY, in conjunction with our partner organizations is holding a Town Hall for the candidates running for NYS Assembly seat for Assembly District 149.
Tonight June, 10th at 6:00pm Live
Join the Meeting Online: Bit.ly/149townhall
Watch livestream on our Facebook: Citizen Action of WNY Facebook Page
BLACK LIVES MATTER
Above: Citizen Action member India Walton takes a stand for her community
Citizen Action is working as a part of the Free The People WNY coalition in order to organize safe protests in support of Black Lives Matter and effect real change in the policing of our communities. The coalition includes representatives of Black Love Resists in the Rust, the Buffalo Police Advisory Board, Citizen Action, the Fair Fines + Fees Coalition, Partnership for the Public Good, PUSH Buffalo, WNY Law Center, WNY Peace Center, Galactic Tribe and VOICE-Buffalo and is growing!
As a unified community partnership we have publicly issued the following statement as to our goals for the BLM protests kicked off by the Murder of George Floyd by police in Minnesota:
1. Riot police must stand down.
2. Fire officers with a history of brutality and killing people.
3. Make officers pay for settlements with their pensions, not taxpayer dollars.
4. Create an independent external oversight body.
5. Cut the police budget and invest in reforms and community supports.
6. Increase transparency of police policies, activities, and cameras.
7. End biased traffic stop practices and eliminate unfair fees.
8. Implement LEAD to reduce arrests driven by mental health, substance use, and poverty.
9. Adopt Cariol’s Law to create a duty to intervene.
10. Give community a seat at the bargaining table.
11. Update BPD Use of Force policy and codify into law.
12. Get police out of schools.
13. Pass resolutions in support of repealing all of the state laws proposed by the Black, Puerto Rican, Hispanic and Asian Legislative Caucus.”
“People may ask who is Free The People WNY. It’s a bunch of people that want to stop the systems of mass incarceration that white supremacy has control over to make capital and use as a tactic for fear mongering for political power. This coalition will only grow and become more powerful because we work with love and healing to restore our community.” -Christian Parra, Organizer for Citizen Action of WNY